Thursday, July 24, 2014

Dream Machine Dreams Come True

I've been sewing headband holders to fund my "Dream Machine" for two years, I finally got close enough to my goal to purchase my ultimate "Dream Machine."

I did tons of research and lots of searching for a "deal" on something similar but I always came back to "needing" the totally unique features of the Brother Dreamweaver XE (VM6200D). The exclusive to Brother/Babylock features are the Laser Seam Guide, Laser Drop Light for embroidery, Sonic Pen, and Muvit Foot, which is a dual feet foot that replaces the walking foot. See more on these features here.

I'm so glad I held out to purchase this machine, in the 5 days I've had this machine I used and loved all these unique features!

Being the techy-sewist I am I made an unboxing video of the machine since there weren't any good photos of what's in-the-box on the internet, please excuse my over the top excitement.

I've got some more initial impressions video to post as well, so look for those soon!

Also the fabric from my last post has already arrived and I'm super impressed with Fabric Mart, they shipped quick and everything comes stickered with exactly what it is, your invoice number, and the care instructions, can we get that at JoAnns too PLEASE!

Look for a post of my initial creations with the machine soon!

Friday, July 18, 2014

Upcoming Apparel Projects

So I found a new fabric shop to try via Pattern Review, by magically the following day they have a 50% off sale. So late last night after work and dinner at Granny's, with Mom consult via Google Talk I picked out tons of apparel fabric!

This morning I made a spreadsheet of my finds (yup, nerd status), complete with swatches, definitely a pro of shopping online is the instant picture AND the full description of what type of fabric it is! I also added the intended project, since I tend to forget that... I'm sure this will be handy and avoid "fabric bin diving" in the future.

So I ended up with fabric for 6 tops. Lots of chiffon since I love the sheer boxy tee over a tank look, so I guess I'll soon be a french seam pro!

I also got fabric for 3 dresses,  which I plan to make in the new Collette Myrtle pattern, and the popular Laurel pattern.

Guess I'm diving into apparel sewing!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Gender Neutral Baby Shower Sewn Gifts

Gender Neutral Baby Shower Gift

A had the honor of attending a baby shower for my dear sorority sister. They are going to be surprised by the gender so I had to tame my hot pink addiction, and though challenging I did manage to.

So here’s what I came up with using my stash sans pink.

Squirrel appliqued onesie with acorn applique on the bum
An Alpha Gam baby must! I used my usual heat n’ bond tracing method, that I explained on this Elmo Shirt post.
Baby Bloomers in denim
Babies in ‘grown up’ fabrics are the cutest, so I made these little bloomers in light weight denim. I followed See Kate Sews free pattern for baby bloomers. I did make any real changes to the pattern.

Pacifier Leash
My Burberry-ish ribbon + cherry red elastic was the perfect neutral combo, see my tutorial here: Preppy Pacifier Leash Tutorial
Bandana style dribble bib.
Bestie’s Lil Miss. Reagan is a fan of this stylish option. I used a tee-shirt knit for the front, and polar fleece for the backing. I used this Free Bandana Bib Pattern  from White & Bright . I really liked how her design has the cowl built in. I also used Velcro on mine since it’s more flexible.

Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!
Instead of cards everyone was supposed to bring a book, a quick Mommy consult and I found the perfect one, we both loved this book.