Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
I’ve been wanting to make this forever!! In fact even my Oma has made it before me since I told her about the recipe, so credit for some of the edits go to her =) It took me so long to make it since I have a ‘retro’ 80s crock pot from my Mom so I wanted to be around while it cooked for the first time. This was the perfect lazy Saturday meal, Andrew and I both LOVED it, soo good, soo easy. It’s definitely going to become a regular, like so many of the Skinny Taste recipes we’ve been trying lately. We served ours on a little bed of brown rice, which was perfect! I was so excited to finally eat it I forgot to add cheese or sour cream, but it doesn’t really need it since it tastes so good even without it.
Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 16-oz can black beans (Drain all of the canned goods pretty well, no need to let sit in a strainer though)
- 1 16-oz can kidney beans
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels (I added my corn for the last 30 min, nuked for a little bit so they weren’t super frozen still)
- 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (My store brand rotel cans were 10 oz, I still used 2 and it worked out fine.)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder (I skimped this a little bit just in case, but even for a whimp, so use the full amount)
- 24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts (I had defrosted tenderloin I needed to use up, and they cooked and shredded fine, I worried they would cook faster than the breast)
- chili peppers, chopped (optional) (skipped)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (skipped)
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. (Drain everything before throwing it in, hold off on the corn so it doesn’t get mushy).
- Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. (I cooked mine for 6 hours keeping an eye on it, I think my ‘high’ is a little too much so I put it on low when I felt to was boiling too steady)
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra points). (Shred the chicken using two forks, it’s super simple, adding it back in really seeps the flavor into the chicken, this is also when I added the corn in.
Super awesome easy peasy prep, drain and dump. Oh and chop an onion. Leave out the corn at this point.
I know this looks super duper disgusting, at this point I was worried something was wrong, but I just split them up and turned them over, and when they cooked some more they turned back into normal chicken.
Shredding the chicken with two forks, sooo tender it was easy as can be.
The finished product, this makes a ton, and I’m thinking it would freeze pretty well.
Try it, you won’t be disappointed!!